Over Christmas and New Years I was in Canada and the US which gave me the opportunity to stock up on some basics that aren’t available in Juba. I also started using these Evert Fresh Green Bags which make vegetables last much longer than usual in the fridge. That’s why I’m still making things with broccoli (never available in Juba in good quality) after nearly three weeks of being back!
Today’s recipe comes from one of my favourite blogs – Cookie & Kate’s Better Broccoli Casserole. As usual, I made it slightly differently based on what I had:
For the breadcrumbs:
- Blend one piece of whole wheat bread (good opportunity to use the end if you don’t normally like eating them) with one piece of rye bread.
- Melt butter and add 2 cloves of minced garlic. Add breadcrumbs and dry herbs (oregano, thyme, sage, basil, etc). Keep in frying pan on low heat until toasted.
- Set aside while preparing remaining ingredients.
For the broccoli:
- Cut one head of broccoli and one small zucchini into bite size pieces. Toss in a spoonful of olive oil and roast in the oven at 180c for about 20 minutes.
For the quinoa:
- Prepare half a cup of quinoa according to the directions but instead of using water use broth.
- Grate two cups of cheese (I used a mix of cheddar and parmesan) and mix 3/4 into the quinoa, adding one cup of milk. Let these all mix together.
Put the quinoa/cheese/milk mix into a 9″ square baking pan, add the broccoli/zucchini and combine. Add a pinch of salt and some black pepper. Top with remaining cheese and bread crumbs. Put in the over at 165c for 20-25 minutes. Reheats well in the oven for the next day’s lunch!
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 small zucchini, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups of grated cheese
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 slice whole wheat bread and 1 slice of rye bread